Falkenberg's Pickled Shrimp
Impress your family and friends by bringing this appetizer to any event. I's a crowd pleaser
and will get eaten up quickly. This makes a large batch and can be cut in half as needed.
- 12 cups water
- 3oz Pickling Spice 2 (1.5oz) bottles
- 4lbs Shrimp, Medium (peeled, de-veined & sliced in 1/2 length-wise)
*** Shrimp are sliced in half so they cook evenly
Bring water to a boil then add pickling spice. Let steep for 1 hour.
Run through sieve and then reserve 2 cups for marinade. Bring the remaining 10 cup
pickling stock to light boil. Add shrimp; reduce to medium heat 5 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Remove from heat and let shrimp soak for 20 minutes.
- 1 medium Vidalia onion (or other sweet varieties), sliced very thin
- 2 cups of pickled cooking stock (set aside before adding shrimp)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 - 16oz bottle of Italian salad dressing
- 3oz bottle of capers ** including juice
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp dry ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt (preferably sea salt, not iodized)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (preferably fresh ground)
While shrimp is soaking - prepare the marinade by whisking all ingredients together.
Once shrimp is cooked - drain cooking stock and cool shrimp quickly by submerging
in ice water. Drain thoroughly and then add shrimp to marinade in a large plastic
container that has a tight fitting top.
Let stand overnight (in the refrigerator) mixing a couple times to insure all the shrimp
spend some time in the marinade.
Serve cold - keep unused shrimp covered in marinade and use within 3 days.