Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
MAKES 16 CUPS
PREP: APPROX ½ HOUR
COOK: 2 ½ HOURS
- 1 pound fresh ground beef
- 1 pound fresh pork sausage
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 cubes beef bouillon cube
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
In a large stockpot cook the ground beef, sausage, pepperoni, green bell pepper, red bell pepper,
garlic, onion, carrots and celery.
Cook until beef is no longer pink, drain into a large colander to drain grease.
To the large sauce pot, add mushrooms, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, bay
leaves, thyme, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, black pepper, sugar, and beef broth and stir well.
Pour the meat mixture into the pot.
Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover.
Simmer for 2 hours.